Skip to content

From Active to Inactive

Transfer from Active to Inactive Status: Information & Affidavit

Transfer requests to inactive status are made on an annual basis and must be submitted to this office no later than January 1 of the calendar year in which you wish to go inactive. If you practice law in Alaska at all during a particular year, you are not eligible to be an inactive member for that year and must pay active dues for the entire year. Your transfer request will be considered upon completion and receipt of the form affidavit and you will be promptly notified of action taken on your request.

Active to Inactive Affidavit

Inactive member dues are currently $215.00, payable on or before February 1st each year. Active member dues are not reduced or prorated when an active member of the Association requests a transfer to inactive status after January 1.

Once the transfer is accomplished, you still have an obligation to keep this office apprised of any telephone and address changes that occur during a year, particularly so that the Bar can communicate with you. This transfer approval does not require annual renewal. Inactive members receive all membership mailings, except some CLE announcements and ballots for various elections.

Finally, you should note that any member of the Alaska Bar who has been inactive for more than one year and who wishes to return to active status is subject to a “determination of good character.” Generally, this requirement means that an affidavit must be submitted with the request to return to active membership status and which lists the name(s) and address(es) of any employer or business with which the inactive member has been associated since the transfer to inactive status. In addition, at least three professional references from individuals who have knowledge of the member’s work as an attorney are required.

Please note: Law clerks of court, hearing officers, magistrates, and administrative law judges, who work in Alaska, if admitted, must be active members of the Alaska Bar Association.

Skip to content